We are excited to announce, that in an effort to continually improve the options available to our students after they graduate, the administration of Christian Fellowship School is pursuing designation as an A+ School. The A+ Schools Program was originally established by the Outstanding Schools Act of 1993 and recently became available to private schools. Graduates of designated A+ schools who successfully complete the requirements of the program may be eligible to receive two years of free tuition to a designated public community college, vocational, or technical institution in Missouri. All funds are subject to Missouri General Assembly allocating monies for the A+ Program.
To be eligible for the A+ program, students must meet the following requirements:
- Be a U.S Citizen or permanent resident
- Enter into a written agreement with Christian Fellowship School prior to graduation
- Attend a designated A+ high school for 3 years immediately prior to graduation
- Graduate with an overall grade point average of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Have at least a 95% attendance record for grades 9-12
- Perform at least 50 hours of unpaid tutoring or mentoring, of which up to 25% may include job shadowing prior to graduation
- Maintain a record of good citizenship and avoid the unlawful use of drugs and/or alcohol while in the grades 9-12
- Have achieved a score of proficient or advanced on the Algebra I end of course exam or higher level DESE approved end of course exam in the field of mathematics. An alternative includes scoring a 17 or higher on the Math subscore of the ACT, while also earning a 2.5 or higher cumulative grade point average.
The administration of Christian Fellowship School is working to complete necessary paperwork to file with the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education with the State of Missouri. New school designations are voted on in March of 2018, and would give this year’s seniors the opportunity to be included. In anticipation of receiving designation, interested seniors will be asked to complete the A+ Schools Program agreement by December 20 so they can begin to complete the requirements set out by the A+ Schools Program. Other high school students will also have the opportunity to sign up and begin the process of completing necessary requirements after Christmas break.
We are very excited to apply for this designation and to begin to offer this opportunity for our students. In the past few years, graduates of Christian Fellowship School have attended several A+ eligible colleges and technical programs, including Moberly Area Community College, St. Louis Community College, State Fair Community College, and the Columbia Area Career Center. For more information on the A+ Schools Program and for a complete list of eligible community colleges and vocational/technical schools, please visit: https://dhe.mo.gov/ppc/grants/aplusscholarship.php